Sunday, August 30, 2009

Rock Solid

He is my rock. He not only tolerates my moods, negativity and recent pessimistic attitude towards life but he loves me despite these traits. When I'm unable to stand up on my own, he holds me up. When I feel like giving up, he helps me to see there is something worth fighting for. When I feel defeated in a battle, he reminds me that the war is not over. I am not only blessed to have this remarkable man in my life but honored that he has chosen me to love.
We've not yet been together two years. The first two years of a relationship are normally filled with glee, happiness, fun adventures and romance. This has not been the case for us. Our first two years together have been filled with the ups and downs equivalent to a roller coaster. I am still amazed that he continues to choose to love me. This past year has been one of the most difficult in our lives. We have faced unbelievable job stress, major depression, an eating disorder, two of our dogs almost dying, financial issues beyond belief, a mother almost dying, an aunt passing away...I don't think I need to go on. More negative events have put pressure on our relationship this year than some couples face in 10 years. Yet, the love he has for me has never diminished, it only has increased.
The fact that this man loves me despite my flaws is a wonder to me. His love provides me with the strength I need to heal myself, to face my darkest hour and know that with him by my side, I can face these demons before me. Not only face them, but defeat them. With him by my side I know that anything is possible.
This man who has chosen to love me is not just my boyfriend, my significant other or my future husband to be, he is my hero.

No comments:

Post a Comment