Tuesday, April 10, 2012

What defines me? Not a number!

I weighed myself the other day.  It has been two and a half years since I've known the # of what I weigh.  And now that I know that number I don't really know what to make of it.  I've known for quite a while now that I've gained weight since leaving treatment.  I didn't need a scale to tell me that.  I don't need some foreign abstract number to tell me the obvious in life.
Yet, to be honest, when I saw that number I didn't feel sad, I didn't feel hatred towards myself and I didn't immediately fall to pieces.  What I did feel surprised me because I felt indifferent.  I didn't feel nothing, I just didn't really care what the scale said one way or another.  I didn't sit down and automatically start calculating the amount of weight that I've gained, in fact I still haven't and most likely won't.
It is what it is.  Just a number that has nothing to do with who I am as a person.  It has nothing to do with my health and well being.  It has nothing to do with who I am and what I can contribute to society.
Now let me be clear on something.  It's not as if I'm completely happy with how I look.  I think that the world we live in has caused it to be extremely difficult to be happy with yourself.  (But I'll save that conversation for another day.)  I've wanted to start losing weight once I realized I was gaining weight.  Yet all that does is create and inspire the never ending spiral of dieting, bingeing and self hatred.  So, I'm not dieting.  I'm not really exercising. And in the long run I now realize that I'm not doing much in the way of physical self care.  I don't really have the desire to exercise.  I certainly do not have the energy to be all consumed by food, calories and fat grams.
So why did I step on that scale in the first place?  I'm not really sure.  I guess curiosity got the best of me.
My point of this very scrambled post is this;  Who cares what someone weighs?  It does not inform anyone of what their contribution to society is.  It does not dictate who they are.  Caring about someone's weight does nothing but objectify them.  And no one is an object.
It is high time that we stop looking at the surface of what someone looks like but allow ourselves to look deeper and find out who that person is.  I know I'd surely appreciate that.

No comments:

Post a Comment